If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (973) 669-4825

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What to Do When Water Drips From Your Light Fixtures

8/20/2019 (Permalink)

Water in light fixture

What to Do When Water Drips From Your Light Fixtures

Dealing with water leaks is a pretty familiar occurrence as a homeowner in West Orange, NJ, but having water leaking into sensitive places around the house can be very damaging, and even more so if the leak goes unnoticed for a period of time, causing wall or ceiling damage, and even electrical damage.
Finding water in light fixtures can be both a costly repair and dangerous, and it’s possible to be shocked by just touching the light switch. Not only that, water going into an electrical fixture could potentially spark and start a fire. The leak may be gradual, making it impossible to notice right away, so by the time you see water dripping there may already be mold present, or corroded wires which can cause a short circuit.

Ceiling Damage

If you don’t see water in light fixtures, but you do see the ceiling sagging or bulging, the drywall could be soaking wet meaning it has lost almost all of its structural integrity. If this is the case, it’s important to stay away from these areas until you can get it repaired.

What to Do Next

Once you see damage or water around your home lighting, it is recommended that you turn off the electricity to that area of the house to avoid electrocution. Then you can figure out where the water is coming from and shut off the source if it’s being caused by a plumbing leak. Finding water in light fixtures below a bathroom might mean you have a leaking toilet, tub, or sink. Leaks on the top floor or in poorly sealed basements could be caused by rain.

Safety and Repairs

Let everyone in the house know about the damage, and make sure they do not touch any electrical sources until you can confirm they’re safe. It might be necessary to call an electrician to ensure all your wiring is still up to code, as well as a plumber if you have damaged plumbing. A professional restoration company can come in and cleanup the damage caused by water in light fixtures, mold, or even an electrical fire.

Other News

View Recent Posts